Water resources

Find out about the current status of our water resources, including groundwater, reservoir and rainfall levels.

Latest water resources update

Updated June 2024

Rainfall update:

The Wessex region received 21 mm of rainfall in June which is well below the monthly average. Overall, the rain received in the last six months (January to June) has been 147% of the long-term average.

Reservoirs update:

Our surface reservoirs are beginning to drop due to the dry weather throughout June but remain just above average. At the end of June storage was 85% of total capacity.

Groundwater update:

Groundwater levels at all monitoring sites are still above average for June, with some sites approaching average levels.

Rivers and streams update:

River flows are monitored on a daily basis to ensure stream supports are switched on as the appropriate flow triggers are reached. Stream supports are helping to improve river flows the following locations (as of 1/7/2024):

  • Watergates (6.5 Ml/d into Tadnoll Brook, Dorset)
  • Lower Stanton St Quinton (1.8 Ml/d into Rodbourne Stream, near Chippenham)
  • South Wraxall (1.5 Ml/d into Chalfield Brook, near Bradford on Avon)
  • Porton (1.5 Ml/d into Salisbury Bourne, near Salisbury)

Helping customers to use water wisely

Water is a precious but finite resource. The more water we use, the more water we have to abstract from the environment and treat. We must leave as much water as possible in the environment, particularly during dry weather and droughts.

We are committed to helping customers to reduce their water use. We offer free water efficiency devices to our customers and also provide useful tips on how to reduce water use both in the home and garden. Using water wisely can reduce customers' utility bills and help their local environment.

Girl in the garden watering plants with a small yellow watering can

Types of water sources

Around 97% of the water on Earth is salt water and the remaining 3% is freshwater. While all kinds of water resources are important for the survival of the planet, accessible freshwater is especially important for humans.

These are our main freshwater sources:


Rainwater is a relatively clean water source, but it can become contaminated once it hits the ground, which is why we treat it before supplying it to customers. Rainwater harvesting also plays an important role in reducing pressure on the water network.


Reservoirs are constructed lakes or bodies of water designed to store rainwater before it is transported to water treatment centres. Once cleaned, this water is then supplied to homes and businesses.


Groundwater can be found beneath the Earth’s surface in the cracks and spaces between soil, sand and rock. We use boreholes, which have been sunk up to 120 meters underground, to pump this water to the surface.

Rivers and streams:

Rivers and streams provide many benefits to humans and are important habitats for plants and animals. They also carry water, organisms, gases and nutrients to areas that need them, as well as draining nearly 75% of the Earth's land surface.

Regional water resources

There is a new requirement for water companies to work together to produce regional water resource plans and, where possible, assess the potential to move water from areas of excess to areas of deficit.

More information on the group can be found at our dedicated West Country Water Resources website.

We are working together to produce our first Regional Water Resources Plan which will be published this year.

In addition to producing a regional plan, regulators require us to investigate the feasibility of three potential regional schemes over the next five year period.

Water Resources Management Plan

Our Water Resources Management Plan sets out how, over a minimum of 25 years, we will balance water supplies with water demands to ensure adequate supply for our customers, while also protecting the environment.